You can see the first stage of creating the munsterlander dog portraits and this is where the next stage starts.
I used raw umber to underpaint the face area of Lily, She has shiny fur similar to Dill the munsterlander so I simply used the same set of colours for her face.
You can see how I layer, raw umber as the base and then black for the very darkest areas, a mid grey and pale grey for the highlights. I simply worked around the face layer by layer.
Lily’s chest fur was in shadow plus it has a slightly creamy shade to is so I used a pale brown for the underlayer of this fur, it was slightly longer fur than on her face so I made my pastel pencil strokes longer
Next I used a dark grey to add the flecks of her fur under her neck. I used very light strokes but I knew they would almost be blended in when I used the pale grey for the top layer of fur. You can see all the layers above as I do tend to bob about rather than work an area to completion although this is really very organised for me, I usually move around colours too!
I loved the fact Lily has a very fancy collar, I love adding fiddly bits like tags and collars, plus it was nice to break out some more colours!
Next I worked on the tongue, Lily’s tongue was also half in shadow so I had to be careful to keep this in the give the impression of sunshine as highlighted on the fur.
I have already shown Lily and Dill’s Mum their new dog portrait and it’s already passed the critique! I just need to scan them now and pack them for posting.